Saturday, January 29, 2011

My 1st year in teaching.

My six years working at Preschool Stepping Stone in Abu Dhabi was truly an eye opening experience. Back then, I had no clue of any child development theories, developmentally appropriate practices (DAP), milestones and practising professionalism while interacting with parents.
I found it extremely stressful speaking to parents. The expectations and requirements were sky high and I was not ready (mentally and emotionally) on how to handle them.  I felt I was not fit even to be an assistant teacher!
I remembered during my 1st year being an assistant teacher, a child was pulled out from my class . Her Canadian mother’s complaint was that I could not pronounce the word "water" correctly. The poor child cried for two weeks in her new class before her parents decided to put her back into my class. My heart was crushed when she sat crying at the door not wanting to go back to her new class, banging the door and begging to come in.  Worst, the rest of the children in my class begged that she should be let in.  Those children were only three years old. It was the lowest moment in my life.
Relating this to what I know now, Piaget’s theory on preoperational stage states that children are able to represent their world with word and images. This child has been familiar with her class, friends and surrounding for the last eight months. An attachment and relationship has been built; and to be put in a new place while your friends are just next door, this child was confused, felt abandoned and not knowing how to cope with the stress.
Looking back, I found that it is just not enough to teach young children with love and dedication. You need to equip yourself with information and knowledge on child development theories. Only then will you be able to bring out the best in them as well as yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment