Sunday, January 30, 2011

Have a date?

A mother of three recently told me that her husband will pick their daughters up after school and go on a date with them. I was puzzled as I have never thought you need to date your child.
The next morning, I asked the mother about this "dating your child" business.  They have two girls, age 4 and 7, and a year old baby boy. She told me that their father will have a date with each of their girls every time he comes home as he is usually travelling. They set a rule that there shall be no buying of things during these dates except on their birthdays. I asked her if she too went on dates with the girls. She said no but she will "date" her son when he is old enough.
She told me that they found this very effective as the girls will share with their father things they won’t say to her. She also said, the girls have a better communication and relationship with their father. She also added that what they are trying to do here was to be there for their children whenever they face any problem.
Inspired by this mother's story, I searched for information on how to build a positive relationship with young children. I came across the articles below and I found that in order to build a positive relationship with young children, you must first build on their positive emotions.
This drew me back to Erikson’s theory which states that during the first year of your children's lives, they go through the stage of trust versus mistrust. When children's needs are met consistently by their parents or caregivers, a sense of trust is developed. And when this sense of trust exists, a healthy attachment and relationship will be fostered.
To find out more, do read the articles below. They will give you a better a insight on how to develop healthy and secure attachments with young children.
Have a good read!

No comments:

Post a Comment